January 2, 2013

"Better out than in," as Hagrid would say...

Today's post is less wit and wisdom, and more whining. Better out than in. The latest news is annoying, with a sprinkling of hope and faery dust.

First, let me say that the trip to Madison, WI was delightful. Erin and Phil, my hosts, made a most comfortable landing space for me, including a tempurpedic mattress in the guest room, lovely dogs, great food, and fabulous company.  Erin took me on a little tour to see the house we lived in when I was born and to see Willow Island downtown. Phil drove me to my appointment with Robin DiPasquale, ND of Madison, WI, and she is AWESOME!!  I loved her instantly. She has a private practice and also works through the University of Wisconsin. During my appointment with her, I felt seen and heard without judgment. I realized afterwards that I wear my virtual armor whenever I talk about this disease, whether I'm talking to a doctor, friend or other. I think this is one of the worst things to deal with for people with TBDs and other invisible illnesses. It takes an energetic toll.

When I am exhausted and in pain, my emotional state is squishy at best. My normal, grounded, rational self is either hiding or asleep and the tiniest things can set off Penelope (my inner drama llama - that's another story, but you get the idea.) I'm more easily distressed, sensitive and prone to worry. Fragile. 

Add to that, three strange and annoying things people seem compelled to do that require an extra layer of tough to handle.

       1.  Unsolicited advice, especially about my spiritual process or ways of thinking
       2.  Unsolicited help, and I'm referring to the somewhat forceful kind from the people who think their brand of healing is just what I need and hound me for a chance to prove themselves or sell me something
       3.  Judgment and criticism, about my choices, my spiritual condition, my partner's support, my treatments, and the saddest of all, my overall character and quality of my marriage (a recent example: I'm exaggerating my symptoms so I can take advantage of my partner, and he's being codependent by letting me do so.)

This is exhausting in a whole new dimension and one I wouldn't wish on anyone. I must have wonderful boundaries and the energy to enforce them to keep myself whole. When I can't do that, when I simply don't have the energy, my back up plan is to isolate or limit my contact to people that understand my condition and my definition of support. 

And now, for my last whine of this post I'll write about my growing medication frustrations. I returned from Madison, WI with a new regime of supplements, liver cleansing and toning herbs, homeopathic medicines and gemmotherapy extracts. I started all of these and found my symptoms exacerbated. My belief is that Robin's protocol made my digestion much more efficient (that was her primary focus for our first session - restoring my guts and getting me off Zantac and eventually Dexilant) thereby making the antibiotics and antiparasitcs more effective, thereby creating a herxheimer's or die-off of the bacteria; a good thing.  

I had an appointment with my infectious disease doctor in Maryland shortly afterwards and he changed all of my prescriptions which was quite frustrating since Robin's protocol considered my current drug regime and these were very different drugs.

I started the new prescriptions. Two things went horribly wrong! My doctor thought that since I had been on Dexilant and Zantac for awhile (to stop my nausea and acid reflux) that I might be able to handle Zithromax. That's the stuff that landed me in the ER last August. He was wrong. I was horrifically sick to my stomach in no time. Now the second thing that went wrong was grossly compounded by the first and made my life a living hell for two days.  One of the drugs he prescribed had negative interactions with four (yes, I said FOUR!) of the symptom management drugs I take. I found this out on line after I took the first dose and was deathly ill, knowing something wasn't right. Rifampin, one of the new drugs, wiped out the effects of all of my symptom management drugs and added stabbing intestinal pains, light sensitivity and headaches - on top of all the other symptoms I was suffering from in that moment. This was bad, very bad. I cried a lot and laid around in the dark moaning for two days. Not pretty.

I stopped taking his drugs and stayed on Robin's protocol. I have felt surprisingly bad but I realized yesterday I had added in teasel, so I stopped that and am feeling better.  Tomorrow, I see my doctor in Maryland again, and in an attempt to learn from my mistakes, I'll wait until after this appointment to make a follow up appointment with Robin. That seems like the way to go. I want her to have all the current information.

OK, I think I'm done whining for now. I hope things go well today. I'm feeling frustrated, overwhelmed and a bit anxious. I'm considering looking for another doctor closer to home that follows the ILADS guidelines. I have a lead on a woman in Lexington and might look into that. I just don't know what to do and sadly, no one else really knows either. We're all guessing.


2 comments:

  1. "a recent example: I'm exaggerating my symptoms so I can take advantage of my partner, and he's being codependent by letting me do so."

    Aiiieee! Not just cruel, but stupid. How could that person possibly know any such thing? Living through pain and fatigue is an incredible balancing act -- when do you tough it out? When do you skip doing something you love because you need self care more?

    Your partner is entitled to (cautious, respectful) opinions about those questions, because they affect him too. Third parties, not so much.

    May your meds and supplement regime settle into a healthy working relationship (and then work themselves out of a job).

    Love to you.
    -Yarrow

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think of you often and hope that someone has the answers to what will make you feel better. Hugs and happiness sent your way!!!
    -jenn

    ReplyDelete