June 25, 2012

Is the Intoxicated Penguin Walk a good thing, or a bad thing?

Every morning when I get out of bed, and often when I just get up from sitting, my hip joints are so inflexible with pain that I can only take tiny little steps until I loosen up.  My partner told me one morning that I looked like a penguin, he was right and his comedic timing priceless in lifting my spirits.  After all, penguins are adorable so what's not to love about looking like one?  

That's the penguin part.  The intoxicated bit is one of those on-going questions for me (doctors have lots of opinions both ways, so again I must be my own expert and figure out this mystery.)  I get very dizzy, come close to fainting sometimes, and can have head rushes, complete with stars, for several minutes.  Is it the bacteria dying off and creating a herxheimers reaction or is this a side effect of the medication (and if so, is that a bad thing or something that will resolve over time?) or is it something entirely unrelated like my historically low blood pressure?

Having had what's called "neuro Lyme" (the bacteria crossed the blood/brain barrier because I went untreated for almost 3 years, and trust me - a bacterial infection in your brain is not fun) this feels like the old herxing days.  But then again, its been 10 years and these are all new drugs.  What's a tick bit chick to do?

For now, I'll continue the Intoxicated Penguin Walk.  I'll give the protocol a few weeks and see what happens.  Wish me luck!




1 comment:

  1. :) You make the Lyme hobble sound so cute!! I just feel ancient and broken--now I'll try to think "drunk penguin" instead.

    ReplyDelete