July 4, 2012

Healthcare in Germany? I'm impressed!

I'm sure it has it's problems, but this is the second time they've come through in a pinch.  Before I left home, I counted all of the various pills I'm taking to determine if I needed refills and vacation waivers before I left home.  (At this point, I should be using a spreadsheet to keep it all straight.)

I dutifully called my pharmacy and my doctor's office to line everything up.  One little snafu - one of the drugs was back ordered at my pharmacy and I forgot to pick it up on my way out of town.  Sadly, it was the antibiotic which is likely the most important one to take continuously.

After a few days in Germany, Cassandra (my friend and hostess) suggested we go to the pharmacy and ask if someone there could help us.  I only needed 6 pills to tide me over.  The pharmacist explained to us that this isn't legal, but he examined my prescription bottle and talked to her a bit, then looked us over.  After a moment, he got the pills and told us we looked trustworthy.  He even stuffed the bag with fruity bonbon samples.  

Last year, when Crow and I were here, he needed an outpatient procedure and prescriptions.  He had the same thing done at home a few months before and after our insurance kicked in, we still paid $700 plus prescription costs.  What did we pay in Germany, you ask?  Nothing.  Not a thing.  Not at the doctor's office.  Not at the pharmacy.  They conspired to take care of us in a way that was incredibly charming, efficient and free.  Wow. 

No comments:

Post a Comment