October 18, 2012

The Potentially Marvelous Myth of Madison, Wisconsin

I was born in Madison, Wisconsin but my family moved when I was about a year old, so I have no conscious memories of the place as a child.  Last year, I had the opportunity to spend some time in Madison officiating a handfasting for friends who live there.  I didn't see much of the city, but I enjoyed the vibe of the land and the people. When I left, I thought I'd like to return someday. The newly married couple said they were planning to have an anniversary house party every 5 years.  I was already looking forward to my next trip.

Flash forward to last August.  I was in Vancouver, BC at a week-long camp and ran into an amazing homeopath, herbalist and friend from Salt Spring Island, Jamie Capranos.  I had not seen her in years and am always delighted by her company.  I scheduled an appointment with her during the week.  (This was during the time I was not on the antibiotics and was quite concerned about having a major set-back.) Toward the end of our appointment, she recommended a naturopathic doctor that she had studied with.  This ND had studied Lyme and co-infections in Europe and was treating people with good results.  Jamie wasn't sure where she worked, other than somewhere in the Midwest, maybe Minnesota.  

Shortly after I got home from Canada, I looked up the ND and she practices in - you guessed it - Madison, Wisconsin. Now, here's where it gets potentially marvelous.  What if the remaining ingredients to my healing came from the land of my birth.  It seems deliciously poetic and I'd like it to be true.  

I called her office yesterday and she is taking new patients and schedules appointments on Wednesdays. Now I'm going to search for the cheapest flights I can purchase with my frequent flier miles, check with my friends in Madison about staying at their place, and schedule an appointment to see this ND.  Hopeful!  Yes, it feels good.  Afraid! OK, that doesn't feel so good, but I reassure myself that the risk is worth it.  Better to try and fail than not try at all, and should I succeed, well, yay!!

I think I'll write to my co-Lymie and ask her if she feels like heading to Madison with me.  That would be very weird, surreal and likely quite fun.  Why not?

No comments:

Post a Comment